Friday, August 13, 2004

 

Athens Olympics Day 1 - Part 1

As I sit on my flight from Toronto to Frankfurt (en route to Athens) I figure it's probably a good time to provide some background to my history with the Games...

Athens will mark my third Olympics as a journalist - 1996 was the Bronze Age (Overkill clothing founder Fred Koops and I watched Heese & Child win Canada's first medal in vball) while 2000 was the Bondi Bash (my wife and I were swept by chants of Aussie, Aussie, Oi Oi!). These games have been the highlight of my life.

I love the Olympics. Lov'em. Can't get enough of them. They bring the best nations of the world head to head in a form of competition that makes your heart swell but your voice hoarse.

I must admit that, thanks to starting a volleyball magazine back in 1992, I've lived a rareified life as an accredited journalist at these Games and I'm thankful that I can get a bit more 'behind the scenes'. In Atlanta I was 2 minutes away from the bombing because we were at the James Brown concert at the nearby House of Blues. In Sydney I roamed freely with pass in hand to the Toronga zoo, Sydney Aquarium and the good folks at Kodak even printed 8X10's of my trip to Hunter Valley wine country because I had an Olympic photo bib.

Here's hoping that Athens will be just as memorable and for the right reasons...


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?